The club was formed in 1830 at a meeting in the British Coffee House in Cockspur Street presided over by Lord Palmerston. Its clubhouse was completed in 1838 in the Greek revival style by Sir Robert Smirke who also designed the British Museum among many other buildings.
With its elegant dining room, known as the Coffee Room, a large and well- maintained library of more than 20,000 books and its own librarian, two bars, more than 40 bedrooms and its own sports facilities with two squash courts, the Oxford and Cambridge Club is ideally located on Pall Mall close to the Royal Palace of St. James’s.
The clubhouse has been extensively refurbished over the last few years and was featured in Country Life magazine showing its restoration.
Many of our members have stayed at the Oxford and Cambridge Club and can attest that the Coffee Room has excellent food and the clubhouse has superb amenities and facilities. The club is one of the few in London that serves three meals a day seven days a week, all in the main dining room.
The club has an active younger members club with most events requiring formal attire and selling out immediately.
Clement Atlee, Deputy Prime Minister during World War II and Prime Minister 1945-1951 dined nearly every night at the club. The Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, and Heads of Houses of both universities are members of the club. Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, is the royal patron of the club having joined in 1953, and both Prince Charles and Prince Edward belong. Queen Margarethe of Denmark was the first Lady Member. King Harald V of Norway is also a member.
Membership in the club is limited to those associated with the two ancient universities of England.
Oxford and Cambridge Club
Dining, Guest Rooms, Library, Reading Rooms, Squash Courts
71 Pall Mall
London, SW1Y 5HD
44 20 7930 5151
44 20 7930 9490 fax